This course will next run with Purlescence in September 2013
Crochet Visual Interest
Now that you’ve got the basics under your belt, you are probably starting realise the huge possibilities of crochet. There are so many options on where to place your stitches that there are almost infinite possibilities when it comes to creating Visual Interest in your work. From stitch patterns to surface details, from cables to puff stitches there are lots of way to intrigue the eye and make your work different to everyone else’s.
During the day we will be creating fabrics that go beyond single and double crochet, from the ever popular Shells and Fans to the more unusual stitch combinations and Cables. We shall be finding out just what is the difference between clusters and bobbles, gazing at a plethora of different textures and peeking into the colourful world of crochet.
We will be looking at
- Combining stitches to get texture
- Working in the different parts of the stitch
- Crochet Cables
- Surface Crochet
- Adding Colour – stripes, blocks and spots!
You will need:
- to be comfortable in the basics of crochet – holding the hook & yarn, chain, Single Crochet, Double Crochet (American terminology)
- a crochet hook of type and size of your choosing (we recommend a 4 – 5mm)
- about 50g of light coloured yarn with a nice twist (so it doesn’t come apart too easily or split) of a weight to match your hook (we recommend a 4ply or DK weight).
- A pencil/pen and notepad
We won’t be making anything specific in this class, just having a play with techniques in an informal, fun, environment. If you have any questions or want any advice, please feel free to contact us.