This course will next run with Purlescence on Saturday 13th April 2013
Beyond Scarves and Granny Squares will take you from ‘beginner’ to ‘confident’. Teaching loads of techniques to expand your repertoire, increase your confidence and improve your skills, we’ll be talking about those little secret ‘tricks of the trade’ along with the more conventional wisdom gained from my 30 years of practical experience. We’ll be covering
- Starting – how to get a pretty cast on edge and how to do away with foundation chain
- Couture Touches – such as how to get rid of “that” gap at the edge of your work, useful stitches to know and how to change yarn
- Shaping – how to do shapes other than squares, rectangles and circles, lots of increases and decreases
- Short rows – what they are
- Gauge – *why* it’s important and when we can ignore it
- Blocking – how to do it and why it matters
You will need:
- to be comfortable in the basics of crochet – holding the hook & yarn, chain, Single Crochet, Double Crochet (American terminology)
- a crochet hook of type and size of your choosing (we recommend a 4 – 5mm)
- about 50g of light coloured yarn with a nice twist (so it doesn’t come apart too easily or split) of a weight to match your hook (we recommend a 4ply or DK weight).
- A pencil/pen and notepad
We won’t be making anything specific in this class, just having a play with techniques in an informal, fun, environment. If you have any questions or want any advice, please feel free to contact us.